Monday 31 July 2017

Accessorize an outfit with Jewellery


Hey it's Lauren Messiah, your personal fashion stylist and it is time for a fashion question; that's what we do around here. Here we go, hey Lauren my question is about accessories, how much is too much and how little is too little? Got a lot of opinions on this so saddle up. When it comes to accessories, I love accessories because I think they can really take a ho-hum outfit to the next level.

However, accessories need to be used very strategically and in moderation. One of the things that I see working stylists do, people that like, I want to be stylish so I'm gonna pile on every accessory I own. It ends up looking really weird, really cheap, really tacky. So you want to use accessories in moderation.

I really don't like the idea of over accessorizing, but as you said, like what's too little? Under accessorizing is not good too, so let me try to make sense of this for you. My outfit right now okay I got black on, I've got white on, the outfit itself has a lot of interesting components. I've got a little bustier top and I've got lace I've got this jacket that's got like kind of a tuxedo double lapel thing happening.

I've got the high waist pants, I've got a patent leather shoe, there's stuff to look at here. I like accessories and it's part of my personal style to kind of have a, like okay now, like always like a little hey now piece, what's happening there?

So I added just this one gold necklace, this is definitely a statement piece. This is actually also one of my favourite pieces because everyone thinks it's Chanel and it's J.Crew, okay? So I love this, but I chose not to add earrings or add a ring or add a bracelet. The most I might wear is a watch because watches are practical and that's the only reason why I'd be wearing it.

I could technically these would match a gold earring but adding this earring as cute as it is, it's way too much, it's competing for visual attention here. I don't want people to be like, ‘oh cute earrings’ and cute necklace it's what I want people zeroing in on, what area of my outfit I want them looking at.

So got my necklace which showed the bustier top it's also showed the boobs goes out you know trying to catch me as a man. I'm picking my focal point. Now, alternatively if I had on a more toned down outfit, maybe instead of a bustier top it was a t-shirt, maybe instead of this jacket that’s got, you know some shine to it, the black, the white, it was just a plain white cotton blazer. Then I just had on a pair of jeans that could need more, that could need a little bit more, maybe this necklace isn't the fit so we add just a very simple delicate necklace to it.

That's not enough to be like oh my god great necklace, so you could do a delicate necklace and perhaps a simple earring. So now we've put some thought into putting this thing together. So if your piece is a super statement, then you most definitely could add multiple pieces. Like those earrings for example, these are exciting but they're also not like, oh my god in your face that's crazy.

So it wouldn't kill you to like add a ring to it. This would be a nice little pairing, but if I added those to this, I would be entering crazy town. Nobody likes going to crazy town, so you really want to calm it down with your accessories.

While I have you all here, something else that just drives me crazy, when it comes to accessorizing in jewellery; is matching sets. What are you guys thinking? This is in my top ten of style stuff, it doesn't bug the crap out of me. If you buy a necklace and it comes with earrings and it also comes with a bracelet, that's bad enough they're probably not that cute. But on the off chance that they are never wear all of those items together. That just looks like some, got it out of the box, put it on they said it with stylish so it must be. No.

To have great style and to cultivate a look that's yours, it's about taking those earrings out of the set and putting them with an amazing dress or matching them with a different necklace, that equally distributes the weight of your of your look. So never wear a set, I just while we're on the topic I just I have okay. So too much is multiple statement pieces together, too little is a delicate piece just all on its own. With delicate pieces you can stack, you can add, you can layer, so that's really the balance and when you look in the mirror, see what is immediately getting the attention of the look and don't let other things compete with that.

If I were going out right now, I would have a simple black clutch instead of something jewelled and blingy or loaded with logos, because this is the accessory that I want people to see. I was in a little bit of a 20s throwback, so I did my little like turban thing but if I did like a hat it would probably be too much because I'm fighting for attention.

This is the piece I want everybody to see. So I hope that answered your questions, a lot of it is experimentation - you can go by Coco Chanel's rule and take one thing off before you leave the house or you can just see how you feel and experiment as you go.
Or tag me on Instagram and I'll check out your look, haha, what you think about that?  Lauren Messiah is my handle, alright that's all for that, if you guys have a fashion question for me, ask me, and drop it in the comment section and I will do my very best to answer it right here on video. Speaking of videos you must subscribe because I'm putting out new videos three times a week I would hate for you to miss one. So get your subscribe on and I will catch you in the next video.


No comments:

Post a Comment